克兰菲尔德 is a postgraduate university, specialising in technology and management.
The theme running through 克兰菲尔德’s history is a commitment to and passion for applied research which makes a difference to the world in the fields of science, technology and management.
The forerunner of 克兰菲尔德 University was the College of Aeronautics, created in 1946 and based at the RAF station in 克兰菲尔德, 贝德福德郡. Through the 1950s and 1960s, the development of many aspects of aircraft research and design led to considerable growth and diversification into other areas such as manufacturing and management.
In 1967, the School of Management was founded, so 2017 marks our 50th anniversary.
In 1969, the College of Aeronautics became The 克兰菲尔德 Institute of Technology incorporated by Royal Charter with full degree-awarding powers.
最近, there has been further substantial progress, including an academic partnership with the Defence Academy, UK, at Shrivenham in Wiltshire.
Watch our '克兰菲尔德 at 70' video with memories from the 克兰菲尔德 community.
克兰菲尔德’s motto, 'post nubes lux', means 'after clouds light'. It is depicted on the University coat of arms which was introduced when the University was awarded our Royal Charter.
College of Aeronautics
克兰菲尔德 University grew out of the College of Aeronautics, established originally in 1946. More information about the College of Aeronautics is available in our overview of the CoA的历史.
诺顿勋爵 of Wotton Underwood (formerly Sir Harold Roxbee Cox) played a significant role in the establishment of the 克兰菲尔德 College of Aeronautics. He also served as 克兰菲尔德 University's first Chancellor.
To honour his association, Lady Kings Norton donated a collection of her husband's letters, 照片, papers and other memorabilia to 克兰菲尔德 University. We have made a selection of these materials available as an online archive to serve as a permanent memorial to the man who helped guide the development of this institution during the first 50 years of its history.